What Paperwork Do You Need to Sell Your RCT Property?

Selling a property often marks the start of a new chapter in your life, but it’s not all estate agents and packing boxes. Unfortunately, there’s a lot of admin involved and having the necessary documents is a must, and the sooner you can gather them all together the better for a smooth sale.

The professionals involved in selling your home will need various paperwork to get your sale completed, so it’s best to be organised. 

In this quick read, we go through the documents you’ll need before selling. 

1. Proof of identity 

Estate agents, lenders and solicitors will all need proof of identity. Make sure your passport and driving licence are in date and have your most recent bank statements or utility bills to hand for proof of address. 

2. Energy Performance Certificate 

Legally, you can’t sell your home without one, so check here to find your property’s Energy Performance Certificate. An EPC expires after ten years, so if you’re selling an older property you may need to arrange for a new one to be completed, you can arrange this yourselves with a local energy assessor or we can organise this for you. 

3. Land Registry titles

All properties should be registered with the Land Registry. If you can’t find copies of these from when you first purchased your property you can pay £3 for a copy here

4. Leasehold information 

If you’re selling a flat, it may be a leasehold property so you’ll need to provide this information to your solicitor. Leasehold documents outline the length of the lease, details of the freeholder, service charges, ground rent and so on.

5. Building Regulations certificates (and planning permission)

Where you’ve extended your property or made significant changes, you need to provide proof that you’ve had the relevant permissions and checks made. If you didn’t obtain official consent, then this needs to be detailed for your solicitor. 


Other helpful documentation: 

These documents are not legally required but they may help move things along. 

  • Gas safety certificate
  • Electrical certification (to prove any works done meet safety standards) 
  • Window certification (FENSA or CERTASS)
  • Warranties (for new homes under ten years old, for any newly installed fixtures or fittings)
  • Party wall agreements 

If you’re selling your home, get in touch with our team at Dylan Davies. We can advise what documentation you’ll need to get the process going.

How can Dylan Davies help you?

If you have a property to sell we would love to hear from you. Get in touch to arrange your no obligation property appraisal, or take a look at our free instant online valuation tool for an idea of what your property might be worth. On the other hand if you're looking to buy please make sure you register your interest early, plus keep an eye on our Facebook and Instagram stories for sneak peeks of the properties we have coming to market soon!

Postcode areas we now cover; 
CF15, CF37, CF38, CF39, CF44, CF45, CF72

Posted on: 9 September 2022